Through action C4, led by the Federation of Nursery Farmers of Catalonia, LIFE medCLIFFS is developing various tools to integrate biodiversity conservation into the market.
The ultimate goal is to prevent the introduction and spread of invasive or potentially invasive non-native plant species in coastal habitats, especially in the area of the Costa Brava and Cap de Creus.
This is done through:
- Drawing up a consensus list, a watch list and a white list of plant species used in gardening and landscaping.
- Drawing up a voluntary code of conduct and quality label to guarantee the production, sale and use of ornamental plants that avoids the spread of invasive and potentially invasive plants.
- Awareness-raising and engagement of the agents involved in the spread of invasive plants: plant producers, gardening and landscaping, tourism/leisure; town councils and public gardening; and the general public.
- Pushing the updating of the legal framework for the prevention and control of invasive plants.
For the preparation and validation of the lists of plants and the code of conduct, a Working Group has been created in action A4, consisting of fifteen experts from different fields: research, gardening and landscaping, natural heritage management and public administration, nurserymen and tourism.
- PROHIBITED PLANTS – The LIFE medCLIFFS Consensus List
- PLANTS TO AVOID – The LIFE medCLIFFS Watch List
- SAFE PLANTS – The LIFE medCLIFFS White List Forthcoming
- The LIFE medCLIFFS Code of Conduct Forthcoming