LIFE medCLIFFS – Towards an integrative management of Invasive Alien Plant Species in Mediterranean sea cliffs of European interest (LIFE20 NAT/ES/001223) is a nature conservation project funded by the European Union’s LIFE Programme and is being carried out mainly in Catalonia, specifically in the coastal area of the Costa Brava and the Natural Park of Cap de Creus.
The main objective of LIFE medCLIFFS is to improve the current management of invasive alien plant species (IAPS) that threaten the floristic diversity at the habitat of community interest Mediterranean cliffs with endemic Limonium spp. (HIC 1240), one of the most affected habitats facing this problem.
LIFE medCLIFFS has a total budget of 1,408,273 € and is implemented through a total of 16 actions to be carried out over five years (October 2021 – September 2026):
Eight preparatory and conservation technical actions, which will implement the four work areas of the project:
1) prevention of invasive plant introductions with pro-biodiversity market tools
2) rapid detection through participatory networks on the Costa Brava
3) rapid response through invasion risk modelling
4) control of severe invasive plants in Cap de Creus.
Three evaluation actions of the project that will serve to:
1) monitor the results to be achieved in the technical actions
2) to assess the achievement of the expected impact of the project
3) evaluate the effect of invasive species management on the perception of cultural ecosystem services associated with Mediterranean cliffs.
Three communication actions that will:
1) publicize the project and raise awareness of the problem of invasive plants and their management among the general public
2) disseminate and transfer the results of the project to the ornamental sector, natural environment managers and the academic sector, as well as establish links with similar initiatives at national and European level
3) to transfer and establish the basis for replicating the project in areas with similar problems, at national and European level.
Two management and coordination actions, necessary for the proper functioning of the project.