Along this first working year, diverse members from the LIFE medCLIFFS team have initiated the activities of the E2 action. This action is devoted to the technical divulgation of the project results as well as to develop networking with initiatives that can create synergies.
Technical divulgation activities 2022
The LIFE medCLIFFS technical divulgation is built on the participation on technical conferences and external events in order to introduce the project and its results. In addition, it also includes the publication of the most relevant results in sectorial and/or academic journals, and by holding talks and specific lectures on external entities organized courses.
Along this year 2022 the following technical divulgation activities were carried out:
- Participation in the Iberflora Trade Show (October 4th to 6th, Valencia) by members of the Federació de Viveristes de Catalunya. They exhibit a banner introducing the project and distributed triptychs.
- Participation of Flora Catalana into the Workshop of Citizen Science (October 18th, Sabadell), where the experience on creating the LIFE medCLIFFS citizen science networks was advanced and involvement onto a round table.
- Participation of CSIC in the III Congreso Nacional de Manejo de Vida Silvestre (October 19th to 21st, Equador), with a poster communication in order to introduce the LIFE medCLIFFS project.
- Introduction of LIFE medCLIFFS and first data from the field work of the alien flora Rural Rangers Course, organized by the Generalitat de Catalunya (October 24th, online). The lecture was given by the Museu de Ciències Naturals de Barcelona (MCNB).
- Introduction of LIFE medCLIFFS and their participative networks to the students from both the master’s degree in Terrestrial Ecology and Biodiversity Management and the Biology degree of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB), during the visits made to the Botanical Institute of Barcelona (November 2nd and December 19th respectively).
- Introduction of LIFE medCLIFFS and the areas where eradication tasks will be carried out along the course in management and control of exotic flora, organized by the Provincial Council of Girona (November 16th and 23rd,, Castelló d’Empúries and Cap de Creus). This activity was conducted by members of the Provincial Council of Girona and from the Natural Park of Cap de Creus.
- Participatio of LIFE medCLIFFS on the III Simposio anual de botánica española. “Nuevos retos en el estudio de las plantas de montaña: una perspectiva interdisciplinar” (November 25th and 26th, at the Botanical Institute of Barcelona)
- Introduction of LIFE medCLIFFS on diverse technic and divulgative activities organized by the Natural Park of Cap de Creus:
- lecture to the students of the CAFEMN of Roses (educational cycle in conducting physical activities at the natural environment; May 10th);
- lecture to the students of the UAB about the RESCAP and MITICAP projects (May 10th)
- guide on to the Roses trenet in order to explain the mosaic landscape after a wildfire (May 28th);
- workshop about monitoring endemic flora (May 31st);
- lecture to the practicum students of the Barcelona University trough their two weeks stay in Caials (may of 2022);
- conference in the International Congress of Environmental Law organized by the University of Girona, June 4th, according to the visit of the Natural Parc Congress members;
- lecture to the students of the IEA Montilivi (June 6th);
- talk at the “Balcons de l’Empordà” trade show in Vilajuïga, Palau, Pau and Pedret (firsts of June);
- lecture to the students of the University of Geneva during a visit to the Park (June 12th);
- visit of the Europark Congress members to the Park offices (October 7th);
- participation on the “Repensem l’Empordà” workshop about our relationship with the Nature (October 8th);
- lecture to the students of environmental volunteering from the University of Girona, November 8th in Sant Pere de Rodes;
- lecture in Sant Pere de Rodes to the students of the University of Sorbonne (November 15th).
On the othe hand, the fieldwork carried out on the project’s first year has allowed to detect a new species of alloctonous plant for Europe, a new one for the Iberian Peninsula, four new species for Catalonia and six for the Costa Brava. We are currently in the process of publication of those data.
Networking activities 2022
Regarding to the networking, 7 initiatives were contacted, mostly LIFE projects that had work or are working on invasive plants management: LIFE DUNIAS (Belgium), LIFE Invasaqua (Spain), LIFE Alnus (Spain), LIFE FLUVIAL (Spain), LIFE VIDALIA (Portugal), Parc Naturel de l’Armorique (France), LIFE Habitats Calanques (France). Some of those initiatives have high interest to the LIFE medCLIFFS project and promise to be a profitable long-term collaboration.